Although you may think of French toast as a weekend breakfast, it really is fast and simple to make—perfect for on-the-go mornings.
· 3 eggs
· ½ cup skim milk
· 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 2 tablespoons brown sugar
· 8 slices of your favorite gluten-free whole-grain or gluten-free enriched bread Gluten-free cooking spray (or 1 teaspoon vegetable oil)
· 2 teaspoons butter
- Beat the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and brown sugar together by hand until creamy.
- Soak the bread in the egg mixture until well saturated.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray (or coat with vegetable oil) and heat over medium heat until hot. Lower the flame, add the butter, and melt it.
- Add the bread to the hot skillet and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Set aside each piece of toast, keeping it covered, until all of the bread is toasted.
- Slice each piece in half on an angle (into a triangle shape). Serve with warm maple syrup or apple butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
French toast can be made ahead of time and frozen on a cookie sheet. Store it in zipper-lock freezer bags. Whenever you want quick and easy French toast, just place pieces on a cookie sheet and place them in a 350-degree oven until heated through.